Pros and cons of condoms
Some features of utilizing condoms:
- Whenever utilized precisely and regularly, they’ve been a dependable way of preventing maternity.
- They help to protect both partners from STIs, including chlamydia, gonorrhoea and HIV.
- You simply have to utilize them when you’ve got sex – they cannot require advance planning and are also ideal for unplanned intercourse.
- More often than not, there are not any medical unwanted effects from utilizing condoms.
- They’ve been an easy task to get your hands on and can be found in many different forms, sizes and flavours.
Some disadvantages consist of:
- Some partners discover that condoms that are using intercourse – to have surrounding this, attempt to make utilizing a condom section of foreplay.
- Condoms have become strong but may separate or tear if you don’t utilized precisely. In such a circumstance for your requirements, practise placing them on which means you get accustomed to with them.
- Some individuals could be allergic to latex, plastic or spermicides, you could get condoms which are less inclined to cause a reaction that is allergic.
- When making use of a condom, the man has got to grab after he’s got ejaculated and before his penis goes soft, keeping the condom securely in position.
Can such a thing make condoms less efficient?
Sperm will often enter into the vagina while having sex, even if utilizing a condom. This could take place if:
- The penis touches the certain area round the vagina before a condom is wear
- The condom splits or comes down
- The condom gets damaged by sharp fingernails or jewelry
- You employ oil-based lubricants, such as for instance cream, infant oil or petroleum ointment, with latex or condoms that are polyisoprene this damages the condom
- You will be utilizing medicine for conditions like thrush, such as for instance ointments, pessaries or suppositories – this could harm latex and condoms that are polyisoprene and prevent them working precisely
You may need emergency contraception if you think sperm has entered the vagina. You should use crisis contraception as much as five times after non-safe sex (whenever semen joined the vagina).
Opt for having an STI test. You can easily head to a:
- Intimate wellness center
- Contraception hospital
- Young man or woman’s hospital
You can make use of another kind of contraception, like the contraceptive implant or pill, for additional security against maternity.
Nonetheless, other styles of contraception will not protect you against STIs. You will nevertheless be vulnerable to STIs in the event that condom breaks.
Where you might get condoms
You will get condoms at no cost, even though you’re under 16, from:
- Contraception clinics
- Intimate wellness or GUM (genitourinary medication) clinics
- Some GP surgeries
- Some people that are young solutions
You may want to purchase condoms from:
- Mail-order catalogues
- Vending devices in a few general public toilets
- Some petrol channels
Constantly buy condoms that carry the BSI kite mark and also the European CE mark. What this means is they are tested to your safety that is required.
If you should be under 16 yrs old
Contraception services are free and private, including for individuals underneath the chronilogical age of 16.
If you should be under 16 and desire contraception, a doctor, nursing assistant or pharmacist will not inform your parents (or carer) so long you fully understand the information you’re given and the decisions you’re making as they believe.
Health practitioners and nurses work under strict instructions whenever coping with individuals under 16. They’re going to encourage one to give consideration to telling your moms and dads, nonetheless they will not allow you to.
The time that is only expert might wish to inform somebody else is when they think you are in danger of damage, such as for instance punishment. The danger will have to be severe, as well as would frequently talk about this with you first.
Web web Page final evaluated: 19 September 2017 Next review due: 19 September 2020